Administrator of the network at Population Council
The Population Council- Kenya is looking for a qualified ICT professional to maintain a reliable, secure, and efficient data communications network. The network administrator will be responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and supporting information, communication, and technology (ICT) systems in Kenya and other Council offices within the sub-Saharan Africa region. The job holder’s responsibilities include managing ICT systems (back-up, security, and upgrade systems); identifying and implementing automated solutions to improve other office functions, supporting data archiving and protection mechanisms, and providing regular in-house training to staff members on emerging ICT solutions that are important for improving office functions.
- Procure, install, maintain, administer, monitor, upgrade, diagnose and troubleshoot ICT systems including Windows, Biometric access system, and computer hardware and software
- Collaborate with US IT Department to Develop, implement, and review ICT systems security mechanisms to ensure that systems are protected against unauthorized intrusion including:
- Ensuring that the systems have strong password protection and that the firewall is properly configured.
- Constantly checking with the internet service provider (ISP) router to ensure that it is protected against hacking
- Constantly check and ensure the functionality of the closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras
- Monitor and apply security patching, OS and software updates, and other recommended security solutions.
- Together with US IT Department identify, develop, and maintain automated solutions to improve specific office functions including automated procurement, accounting forms, and leave management workflows.
- Provide regular in-house training to staff on emerging ICT solutions that are important for the improvement of office operations and functions.
- Identify, recommend, and work with outside vendors (dealers and consultants) on major repairs on ICT systems in the office.
- Liaise with US IT colleagues on a regular basis to resolve any infrastructure requests escalated from the service desk.
- Actively participate in network-related audits and remediation efforts.
- Assist in the onboarding/offboarding process of users and maintain an updated inventory of active users and devices.
- Provide ICT support to other Council offices in Sub-Saharan Africa Region including back-up, security, and upgrade systems.
- Work with the data management unit (DMU) to develop, implement and support data archiving and protection mechanisms including secure data back-up, web-based data management system, and inventory of general assets and computers. The network administrator will also;
- Assist the data manager by monitoring data as it is submitted to the server, downloading, and cleaning the data, data labelling, preparing related data dictionaries/codebooks, and sharing the data with the Data Manager for review
- Program simple and less complex survey tools for electronic data capture, support tool testing, and program data entry screens for data captured through pen and paper
- Manage the inventory of equipment for data capture and management, including monitoring issuance and return of equipment
- Perform any other task as directed by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, or management information systems
- CompTIA A+, Network, and/or Security+ certification will be an added advantage
- A minimum of 3 years post-qualification experience in managing local area network (LAN) is required.
- Knowledge and experience with user support systems, database systems, and data communication concepts including knowledge of Microsoft office packages, Office 365, and Azure.
- Excellent command of the English language both written and oral
- Excellent oral and written communications skills including the ability to translate ICT information for non-technical managers
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to prioritize, be attentive to detail, maintain confidentiality, and provide exceptional client service with additional focus on support to remote users
- Interest to learn new ICT products and technologies
- Should have a sense of urgency and a commitment to the timely completion of projects without compromising on quality
- Willingness to travel within Kenya and internationally as required
Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd February 2023