REVIEW PROMOTION GUIDELINE-TSC URED
Kisumu County school heads, led by George O. Nyangwe, Chairperson of the Kenya Secondary School Heads Association (KESSHA) Kisumu chapter, have presented major recommendations targeted at supporting teachers’ career progression without barriers.
These proposals were delivered to Dr. Jamleck Muturi, Chairperson of the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), at St. Teresa Girls Secondary School in Kisumu.
Among the most important recommendations are:
1. Eliminating Scales C4 and C5, and replacing them with Scale 16 (D6) to allow teachers to progress from C3 to D1.
2. Making D1 teachers eligible for administrative roles such as Senior Master, Deputy Principal, or Principal.
3. Advancing teachers without necessarily taking on administrative responsibilities.
4. Allowing classroom instructors to rise from C1 to D6 without having to take on administrative responsibilities.
5. Restructuring principal promotions from D4, D5, and projected D6 should be related to the school category where they are appointed.
6. Creating a Scale to encourage post-graduate instructors to continue their studies.
7. Ensuring that acting instructors get all of the advantages and duties of the post, including allowances and compensation.
8. Confirming interns for permanent and pensionable positions without requiring extra interviews.
9. Prioritising intern teachers from Junior Secondary Schools (JSS) for permanent positions at both JSS and senior secondary schools.
10. Accelerating disciplinary processes and guaranteeing that cases are resolved in less than six months, save in extreme instances.
11. Giving instructors who were fired due to alcoholism another chance.
12. Troubleshooting concerns with transfers disappearing from the TSC web portal.
13. Requesting that AON Minet improve its services in order to speed approvals.
These recommendations are intended to improve several aspects of teachers’ career advancement, administrative appointments, disciplinary procedures, and service delivery in Kisumu County’s education sector.