Assistant Student Counsellor at Garissa University College.
About Garissa University College
Duties and responsibilities at this level will entail:
- Coordinating individual and group counselling of students and staff.
- Assisting with orientation of new students;
- Reviewing and preparing general information booklet for students;
- Liaising with the Dean of students on matters concerning students counselling and advising;
- Assisting in identifying students with social psychological or health related problems,
- Attending to the disadvantaged groups like physically disabled, mature age students and foreign students in collaboration with relevant service departments;
- Advising students on personal and social matters within the halls of residence
- Development, planning, implementation and evaluation of awareness campaigns on HIV and AIDS, alcohol and drug abuse, sexual, reproductive and mental health.
- Crisis intervention through provision of defusing, debriefing and trauma counselling geared towards restoration of healthy psychological, cognitive and social functioning.
- Maintain a wide range of mental health contacts to facilitate appropriate referrals for learners needing specialized treatment and consultation.
- Prepare comprehensive semester counselling and events reports
- Conduct needs and impact client satisfaction surveys.
- Performing any other duty as may be assigned from time to time.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPOINTMENT: –
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must possess the following qualifications and competencies: –
- Bachelor’s degree in guidance and Counselling, Counselling Education or Psychology from recognized university.
- At least six (6) years of relevant work experience.
- Should be a registered member of Kenya Association of Professional Counselling with a valid practicing license.
- Proficiency in computer applications and knowledge of ERP.
Method of Application
METHOD OF APPLICATION
- Interested and qualified applicants should download the application form for employment from the university website www.gau.ac.ke and complete all sections of the form.
- Applicants must attach the following documents to the application form: –
- Academic and professional certificates
- A copy of the national ID card
- Any other relevant testimonials
Applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked at the top “Application for the position of……” and mailed OR delivered to:
THE VICE CHANCELLOR
PO BOX 1801-70100
Or can be emailed to:
Applications should be received at the office of the Vice Chancellor not later than Wednesday, 15th November 2023 at 5.00pm. Incomplete and late applications will NOT be accepted.
- It is a criminal offence to provide false information and documents in the job applications. The University shall take appropriate action on any applicant who shall be found to have presented false information and/ or documents.
- Successful candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010
- Qualifications obtained from foreign universities should be authenticated by the relevant bodies
- Garissa University does not levy any fees for job application